There’s nothing like a before picture to validate a makeover project.
The blog-sphere is full of furniture painting and upholstery makeover projects. These are my favorite kinds of home decor projects because not only is it great to see the beautiful finished product, one can also measure and appreciate the amount of work that went into the process based on the before condition.
This project was long overdue, I kept putting it off because I imagined it would take forever but much to my pleasant surprise I started and finished it in one weekend, sweet!
Let’s have another quick look at the before and then the process that got this chair into its current state.
So this is what the chair looked like before..
- An old chair for the makeover
- Fabric – check to make sure you have enough for the project
- Fabric glue
- Ribbon trim
I knew I wanted to change two things, the color of the chair and the upholstery fabric. Earlier this year when I was making the laundry wire basket, I wanted to cover it with a linen cover. I was looking for fabric in 2014′s color of the year -radiant orchid when I saw this fabric and it was love at first sight.
I began with the paint job first then covered the old fabric with the new fabric. Before painting on previously painted furniture, it is very important to sand it down. Here’s my chair all sanded. In this picture, I had painted the fabric in one coat of sunburst yellow but it got soaked up. I wanted to test this painting thing I was seeing all over and I knew that I didn’t like the feel or look of a painted chair very much
After sanding I wiped all the dust and did three coats of Crown’s brilliant white matt emulsion. At first I felt Like I was making a terrible mistake covering up the natural wood color and to be honest I didn’t quite recover from this until I finished the project. It was a leap I had to take and I’m glad I did. Bye bye boring brown and hallo color!
At this point I called it a day and let the paint dry completely overnight.
The reupholstering took me about an hour to complete. I had spent so much time thinking about exactly how I was going to add the fabric that when I got round to doing it, it was a breeze.
I folded the fabric about an inch and simply nailed the folded part all round the chair. Around the corners, I tucked the fabric in and nailed some more.
When I finished nailing the fabric all round, I trimmed the excess at the bottom leaving about two inches allowance. I folded and tucked it in neatly and nailed it as well.
A chair with its fabric nailed bits showing wouldn’t make a pretty sight but I had that covered, literally. I covered the nails using ribbon trim. I glued it on using fabric glue. I would advise you to follow your manufacturer’s instructions for this.
I dabbed glue all round the nailed edge and let it sit for a few minutes. I then started laying the trim while applying pressure for about 10 seconds before moving on. The curved part was a challenge as the trim kept coming off. I had to hold it in place for about two minutes for the glue to set.
I feel Like a ninja you guys, I was telling a friend of mine that when I grow up I want to be a carpenter and I was accused of having mid life crisis, Cah! I don’t care because I know my dream is valid, just wait till my new saw arrives and I’ll swing into full carpenter mode.. Anyway, here’s the after picture of the finished chair. I would love to hear what you think about it so please leave a comment.
If you liked this post then you should definitely download a copy of my free ebook where I talk about painting furniture and fabric and lots of other DIY tips.